Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Number of students: 80 (possibly more this cycle)
Application Cycle: May - September in CASPA, supplemental app not through CASPA
Interview dates: 150 interview spots between November-January
Start date: Starts in Fall
Length of Program: 7 Semesters (27 months)
HCE: No specific requirement, but median was ~1000 hours
Shadowing: No specific requirement, but median ~100 hours
The Good Stuff:
- No specific Organic chemistry requirements! This is a big one because that class is pretty ridiculous. My only C in undergrad.
- They offer info sessions about once a month if you are interested in visiting.
- Based on the stats provided on the website, it's about half in-state and half out of state
- While most programs do not allow working, it is strongly discouraged, but still allowed during the didactic year. Not during the clinical year though.
- 5 of the rotations are electives!!
- This is considered specifically a surgical program so there is more focus on surgery
- There are plans to increase the number of students by 50% by 2018 (adding 12 students each year to a total of 120)
- If you live in a southern state, you might be able to get in-state tuition
Program Link: UAB
For the most up to date information on PA programs in one place, check out The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs. (Affiliate link)