Location: Stony Brook, NY
Number of students: 44
Application Cycle: April - by October 1st through CASPA with supplemental application (rolling admissions)
Interview dates: 3 separate dates with one in September, one in October, and one in November with invites going out pretty early (June/July)
Start date: Late June/early July
Length of Program: 24 months
Public/Private: Public (but no preference to NY residents)
HCE: 1,000 hours of direct patient care (up to 500 of these hours can be from clinicals done for a healthcare certification)
GPA: Minimum 3.0 overall and science with a minimum C
Shadowing: Up to 200 shadowing hours can count towards HCE requirement
The Good Stuff:
- There are options for medical mission trips to Guatemala, Ecuador, Kenya, Nicaragua, or Haiti.
- Full cadaver dissection lab
- Information sessions are held every other month
- Interviews are two 20 minute interviews with 2 faculty in each.
- GRE is NOT required
- Preference is given to students who have already met all of the requirements at time of application
- They have a board review program
- Option for current PAs to complete an online program to obtain their Masters
- During the didactic year, there are optional review sessions offered after class once a week.
Program Link: Stony Brook University PA Program
For the most up to date information on PA programs in one place, check out The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs. (Affiliate link)